I was asleep. I saw my cosmetic lipstick came to me and started talking to me.
It said "Madam I am natural or organic lipstic and you (customers ) consider me to be better than inorganic lipstick as I do contain natural ingredients."
It further said "But friend in my making there is involvement of large environmental footprint due to water usage deforestation and many times unethical labour practices are involved."
Lipstick further said " Some natural ingredients contained in me require long distant transport which increases carbon emission in my making process. "
I said " Dear lipstick it means you are not sustainable."
Lipstick said " Yes madam".
Lipstick further said "Sustainability should account for
1. Resources use
2. Labour ethics and energy consumption. Not just the ingredients labour."
I further said" Dear lipstick, the earth is our home, our place of rest. But we have harmed it, with our selfish ways in making of cosmetic like you."
Lipstick said "Yes I do agree there are scars upon the land and the seas in making of cosmetics".
I said "We must change our path in cosmetic making, before it’s too late."
I further said "In making of cosmetic we must reduce our impact on environment. This can be done by using techniques of green chemistry. "
Lipsick said "Using less energy, and choosing to embrace Sustainable practices in making of cosmetic, that will help to preserve the natural world."
Then came lab made lipstic (Inorganic Lipstick)and started talking to me.
Inorganic Lipsick said "Madam I contain a range of chemicals, including heavy metals like lead, cadmium, and chromium."
I said "Yes dear lab made lipsick, I know you as well contain synthetic ingredients like parabens and phthalates. (primary concern is that parabens can weakly mimic the hormone estrogen in the body, a process called endocrine disruption). These chemicals can pose risks to both human health and the environment. "
Lab made lipstick said" Yes right Madam"
I further said"Products made from natural material may also emit large carbon emission hence are not sustsustainable."
I realised that it is a dream and time to go to school.
I did some self talk and said to my self " Organic cosmetic or inorganic cosmetic must preserve environment, produce less e- waste and should take care of labour ethics in their making then only they can be sustainable."
Moral: Ut is not necessary that cosmetics made from natural material are sustainable.
Sukarma Thareja
I write to make Science easy through Poetry & Photos ๐ธ๐
๐ Website: https://sites.google.com/site/drsukarmaranithareja/home
๐ Blog: https://sukarmathareja.blogspot.com/?ncr=1
๐ My Books:
๐ฎ๐ณ Hindi: Kishor Chetna
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B077H5MBSW
๐บ๐ธ English 1: Making Science Easy - Photo Poetry
https://share.google/Iq6osO6YeHCYvfXYj
๐บ๐ธ English 2: Science of Life and Nature - Photo Poetry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1521260060
๐ก Note: If blog doesn't open, use VPN or add ?ncr=1
๐ Thank you for reading!
I
No comments:
Post a Comment